Thursday, January 22, 2009

I am a fan of James White

Six years ago when I was just a simple defender of the Evangelical faith, I was looking for resources to better combat the false doctrines. The false religions today also quotes from the Bible with much more advanced reasoning.

Roman Catholics today argue using not only the Bible but also utilizes exegesis (various methods of interpreting Scriptures) and history to defend their faith. They also attack doctrines like sola scriptura by saying it is man-made and it is not the only source of doctrine. When I first saw such argument I realized that I lacked the resources to analyze their arguments and present what is real. I was having difficulty... until the internet search engine pointed me to Alpha and Omega Ministries (
www.aomin.org).

There I read the articles of an apologist truly blessed by God with wisdom, Dr. James R. White. He has written so many books and articles and has engaged in several debates as stated in his website. As I read his analysis of Bible verses and arguments used by Roman Catholics, I didn't realize that their misinterpretations and fallacious logic can be untangled with ease if you analyze it properly. I didn't think twice to consider adapting his style of apologetics.

I already purchased three of his books by special order (such books are sadly not available in the Philippines) through Power Books: Scripture Alone, The Roman Catholic Controversy, and The Forgotten Trinity. But these books and his articles doesn't just give you an answer to difficult challenges. You can learn from the articles how to analyze arguments and apply the proper interpretation of Scriptures so that you'll be ready in future challenges. As the months go by in my discussion in the Bereans forum, I have seen many Roman Catholic arguments fall having analyzed the flaw of their reasoning.

Of course, the works of James White is not the only material I am studying. There are other excellent apologists who I also learned from like Dr. Eric Svendsen, William Webster, and Jason Engwer. These apologists are also blessed by God with wisdom. I will be referrint to their articles from time to time.

To Dr. James White, I wish you can come to the Philippines and conduct a seminar. May God bless you and your ministry always.

1 comment:

  1. I'm also an avid fan of James White!

    Hey Rod, I thought you were an Arminian (a Methodist),.. How come you are also a fan of James White, a Calvinist Apologist?

    Hehehe,...

    Please correct me If I'm wrong,

    Good day!

    ReplyDelete